We are all aware that ‘hyped-up’ skincare ingredients come and go, but one thing we know for sure is that amino acids are here to stay. That said, what really are amino acids, and why should we be paying attention to them at all?
Read on to discover the skin-loving benefits of these hydration heroes and how they can fit into our skincare routines.
What are amino acids?
Amino acids are what many experts have deemed as the ‘building blocks’ of both peptides and proteins. They play an important role in skincare and are indispensable for the skin. These skincare warriors can be divided into 2 categories:
Essential amino acids, that are not produced from the body itself. You can get the benefits of these acids from diet, by eating specific foods or supplements.
And, non-essential amino acids, that are produced by the body itself as part of our Natural Moisturizing Factors (NMFs).
So, if non-essential acids are naturally produced by our bodies, why do we need them in skincare? Despite non-essential amino acids already existing in the body as components of the skin’s NMF, applied topically, they can help to maintain the skin’s hydration, resilience and provide an overall healthy appearance, which is why we have chosen serine, a naturally occurring, non-essential amino acid, to play a supporting role in all of the skin care products within our LaH6 range. This ingredient is a blessing to the skin and often described as a ‘hygroscopic ingredient.’ This means it can attract and bind water, to help further condition the skin and reveal its luminosity. Essentially, serine acts as ultimate ingredient that differentiates good skin from great skin.
What do amino acids do for the skin?
First off, hydrated skin never goes out of style, and amino acids are here to help with exactly that! This makes it a great ingredient for those with dry and rough–textured skin. Read on to discover additional ways that amino acids can benefit the skin…
- Moisturizes the skin: the fewer amino acids we have in the skin, the rougher it becomes. This is why amino acids are your hero ingredient for maintaining moisture in the skin.
- Protects the skin: amino acids promote cellular repair and provide antioxidant protection. They also reduce inflammation and build collagen, while plumping the skin!
- Helps the skin heal faster: amino acids help increase the pace of the skins healing process. The less amino acids we have as part of the skins NMF, the slower the healing process.
Taking a closer look at serine specifically, this multifaceted ingredient does not only do all of the above, but much more too…
- Smooths fine lines: serine can target various concerns to help reduce fine lines, while soothing and firming the skin.
- Conditions the skin and hair: as serine is high in protein, it conditions the skin and hair, making the overall appearance smoother and healthier.
- Demonstrates anti-ageing properties: due to serine’s help in collagen production, this ingredient also increases the skins elasticity and ultimately reduces the formation of signs of ageing, including wrinkles.
Your Amino Acid Skincare Routine:
Struggling to find a skincare routine that banishes dryness and leaves the skin feeling nourished, radiant-looking and hydrated? Well, we have the products for you!
Serine is supercharged into our iconic LaH6 Skin Hydration Complex, a hero 6-in-1 complex combining Lactic Acid, Allantoin, Sodium Lactate, Urea, Hydrolyzed Milk Protein and of course, Serine. Together, these ingredients work to deeply hydrate the skin, lock-in moisture and reveal the skin’s natural luminosity.
Serine works optimally when combined with further skin-benefitting ingredients including hyaluronic acid and ceramides that also make up part of the skin’s NMF, which is why we have infused our most hydrating facial skincare products with such actives in addition to our existing LaH6 skin hydration complex. Boasting expert multi-use formulas charged with this powerhouse of high-performance ingredients, these skincare products will deliver the transformative results your skin needs.
- Restorative Facial Mask: Restore and reinforce your skin while you sleep. For intense hydration, this moisturizing facial mask works hard overnight to reveal nourished, radiant-looking, supple skin in the morning. In the evening, apply once or twice a week on to a cleansed face.
- Replenishing Facial Cream: Proven to moisturize for up to 12 hours, this emollient rich cream provides hydration, smoothing microrelief and boosts the skin’s natural water content. Apply to face and neck every morning and evening after cleansing.